The golden rule!

Golden RuleThe following question is posed to me from time to time:

‘I’ve decluttered my own things, but my partner/husband/parents won’t. What’s the best way to declutter their stuff?’

There’s a quick, simple and easy answer to this.

Don’t.

Just – don’t.

It’s their stuff. If they don’t want to declutter or don’t have any minimalist leanings themselves, that’s fine.

I know it’s not easy. If you feel minimalism has helped you, it’s natural to want to pass it on. But it’s not as simple as that.

I’m a real case in point. If you came into my house, you wouldn’t fall backwards crying ‘well, obviously a minimalist lives here’. Mr. Minimal-Lol does not share my minimalist tendencies. ‘Help me declutter’, he never says, as he crams another shirt into his overflowing wardrobe!

He’s not a hoarder – more of a clutter bug. Of course, it can drive me up the wall sometimes but at the end of the day, it’s his stuff and I don’t go near it – and that includes items in our shared spaces. Joint items – joint decision.

Now, ‘hero’ is not a word I use very often – and I won’t be using it today either!

But Mr. M-L does his best. He sometimes gets inspired, de-clutters a couple of shirts and feels very pleased with himself. And that’s fine.

The simplest thing is to apply the golden rule – treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself – no matter how tempting it is to do otherwise!!

10 comments for “The golden rule!

1. May 28, 2019 at 4:28 am

Some people simply hasn’t discover the joy of minimalism and that’s fine, as long as their clutter are contained in their own dedicated space. Someday, their accumulation will start to affect them. By then, it’s still not too late to offer them a helping hand (but definitely not our spaces 😁).

• May 28, 2019 at 10:39 am

Hi there, thanks for reading 🙂 Clutter has a way of encroaching everywhere, doesn’t it?! I agree with offering a helping hand but not space – one is helping, the other is enabling!! Lxx

2. May 26, 2019 at 5:26 pm

We do have to respect each other’s autonomy, don’t we? As you say, treat others as we would wish to be treated ourselves. Besides, I suspect I’m the messiest one in our house! Great post, Lol.

• May 26, 2019 at 5:36 pm

Hi Julie, can’t go too far wrong with the golden rule! (Find it hard to believe that you’re too messy, though 🤪) Lxx

• May 26, 2019 at 5:46 pm

You’d probably be horrifed 😱😁 (I’m actually not too messy and your posts are definitely rubbing off on me 👍)

3. May 26, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Agree on all points and have found that being an example is the best we can do. It rubs off so nicely!

• May 26, 2019 at 5:12 pm

How true Laurel! That’s all we can do – set an example and hope for the best 🤪 Lxx

4. May 26, 2019 at 12:17 pm

I have the same issue L. J can’t let anything go. He’s always been that way. I have areas or zones that I don’t touch. The garage being one space. Yes it looks horrible but I can get my car in and out. He knows the day I can’t, something will have to give or should I say begone. His ”zone” gives me a rash and I dread needing something out there but it’s his place. He lets me do my thing in the house and doesn’t complain so I’ll keep my mouth zipped. He never says a word about how like things kept so I’ll do the same. I totally understand living with someone who isn’t a minimalist.

• May 26, 2019 at 12:49 pm

Hi Erin, I feel your pain!!! However you seem to have come to a very workable compromise. It’s so difficult not to intervene but I’ve learned not to! Thanks for the empathy! Lxx