My 10-minute packing routine

Bag - LongchampPacking to go away, even for a weekend, used to take me a couple of hours. Ridiculous, I know! But when I broke down the time, it wasn’t the packing that took hours, it was:

• Trying to decide what to wear
  • Packing something and then unpacking it again
  • Over-packing, in the fear of forgetting something vital
  • Dithering because I had too many choices, even thought I felt it was because I had too few
  • Searching for items that I needed but weren’t to hand

The actual packing only took a few minutes, but each time, it felt as though I needed to put an afternoon aside to tackle it.

Then I realised that the key thing is not packing, it’s a bit of thought and preparation in advance. Really obvious things like:

• Checking the weather – a great steer for knowing what to pack
  • Bringing clothes that I can mix and match
  • Realising how unlikely it was that I would have to attend a fancy event/funeral/wedding at the last minute – come on, how often does that happen?! Never for me, and yet I packed in case it did!
  • Being as clear as I can about what I will be doing – indoors or outdoors, fancy or casual, active or chilling
  • Knowing that hand luggage is perfect for most trips now
  • Not fully unpacking when I return because so many items are only used for travel and can therefore stay in the bag, ready for the next trip (adaptors, travel sized toiletries …)
  • Discovering the holy grail that is – the packing cube!
  • Realising if I do forget something I can either do without it or buy it (apparently, other places have shops too!)

Who knew packing could be condensed into just a few minutes?

Oh – you did!

9 comments for “My 10-minute packing routine

1. Jordan
    May 27, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I am going to look into packing cubes, my husband & I travel several times a year. Over the past few years I am also packing less to simplify life.

• May 27, 2019 at 4:55 pm

Hi Jordan, thanks for reading 🙂 I hope you find the packing cubes of value. I don’t promote any purchasing on this site but I genuinely find packing cubes help me out a lot. But I think you have it nailed when you say the secret to simplification is to actually pack less! Enjoy your travels, Lx

2. May 19, 2019 at 9:19 pm

I am ordering packing cubes as we speak. I am good with all the other tips since I travel monthly for work. Yet I have yet to try these cubes and since you recommend them…I am on it!

• May 19, 2019 at 9:24 pm

As I said to Julie, I feel I am enabling!!! But I genuinely rate them! Happy packing xx

3. May 19, 2019 at 11:14 am

Brilliant post, Lol. You’re spot on about packing formal stuff – I never need it (weird I’ve never had a last minute invitation to a ball when abroad 🤔). Had to Google “packing cube’ – now I’m intrigued..

• May 19, 2019 at 12:54 pm

Thanks so much, Julie. Oh, I’m a big fan of packing cubes! I discovered them a couple of years ago and never looked back. They keep things organised, seem to magically condense clothes to fit in a smaller space and because I fold/roll my clothes, they don’t seem to crease as much, Lxx