Are you busy?

Tree 2Are you busy? Today? This week? All the time?

Being busy is seen as such a badge of honour these days. I’ve noticed that when I ask someone how they are, the word ‘busy’ usually features quite early on in the conversation.

I get it. Life is hectic and there are chores that always need to be done. But I’m sure I remember a time when people would say they were busy, with a harassed look on the face and a furtive glance at their watch. Now, it can often be said with a certain smugness or sense of pride.

We can prize activity so highly that we don’t stop to ask what the activity is in service of – does it make our life better or just busier?

Recently, I wrote about having the time to savour a cup of coffee. Okay, it’s just a small pause in the activity of the day. But it’s one I wouldn’t have previously ‘allowed’ myself – mainly because I would have felt guilty. But now, there’s no guilt about what I could have been doing instead. It’s just five minutes to be appreciated.

The time that minimalism has given me is something to be savoured, not just re-purposed with no thought.

Have a guilt-free treat today – take a few minutes out of a busy life and just be.

As Thich Nhat Hanh said ‘Smile, breathe and go slowly’.

17 comments for “Are you busy?

1. May 1, 2019 at 3:06 pm

Love that post xx

• May 1, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Thanks Nik – I just need to remind myself to take my own advice every day! Lxx

2. May 1, 2019 at 2:31 am

Great reminder to slow down and be present. Thank you!

• May 1, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Hi there, thanks so much for reading and commenting – I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed the post, Lxx

3. April 29, 2019 at 3:06 pm

So beautiful! I truly enjoy my savored coffee or tea in the quiet of the morning before the rest of the world wakes up. I strive to “unbusy” my life as much as possible, and that can be challenging, but so fulfilling. 🙂

• April 29, 2019 at 4:26 pm

Hi Cristy, thanks so much for your lovely comment. And yes, the ultimate fulfillment is worth the challenge, Lxx

4. April 28, 2019 at 5:44 pm

I can be guilty of “flitting” from one thing to another so that I’m not really getting anything done satisfactorily and feel like I don’t have enough time in the day – adding to that feeling of “busyness”. I consciously have to make myself slow down and I think the example you gave – savouring a cup of coffee (or in my case, tea) – is a great way of doing that. I also like feeding the birds in my garden and taking time to watch them. Wonderful post as ever, Lol, thank you.

• April 28, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Hi Julie, spending time in the garden sounds blissful. And, you’re right, it is a conscious decision we have to make to slow down – but so worth it! Lxx

5. April 28, 2019 at 5:38 pm

I admire, and strive to be more like the people who have mastered their schedules so that are now sharing about how they are not so busy! Everything in life is about moderation. Great post!-Laurel

• April 28, 2019 at 7:06 pm

Thanks Laurel – I don’t think I’m like this all the time but I certainly, like you, try to strive for it! Lxx

6. April 28, 2019 at 5:12 pm

Hi there, thanks for stopping by 🙂 What a great way of looking at the whole ‘busy-ness’ thing – do we really have time to be busy? Love it! Lx

7. April 28, 2019 at 3:17 pm

nice!
    who has time
    to be busy? 🙂

• April 28, 2019 at 5:14 pm

8. April 28, 2019 at 2:12 pm

So right. We’ve managed to fill our lives with all these things to take our time and attention, but give little back to us in the form of happiness. It gives us the impression that we live busy lives, but as soon as you open your eyes to these time-drains you realise how much time you actually have for the things that matter.
    Minimalism has helped me to see what matters most and free up time to focus on these things.

• April 28, 2019 at 5:11 pm

Hi James, thanks so much for reading and commenting 🙂 It’s always great to encounter a fellow minimalist! I really like your description of ‘time-drains’ – that’s a very useful phrase to keep in mind. Enjoy the rest of your day, Lx

• May 5, 2019 at 12:07 am

Agree 100%! Right now I have 2 days to relax and cook some meals for the upcoming week.

• May 5, 2019 at 10:18 am

Hi there, thanks so much for your comment. What a great idea – to combine your relaxation time with being prepared – best of both worlds! Lxx