Channelling change

I’ve been an (aspiring) minimalist for over four years now and there have been a lot of changes in my life as a result. And, as is often the case with significant changes that take place, after a while – they’re not so significant. They become normal.

This is good – this process helps normalise change so we can build on it. But it’s good to reflect on the before and after or else it merges together, and we forget what life used to be like.

CoffeeWe had a lovely spring day here a few days ago. That morning, I made myself a cup of coffee and found I had a few minutes. I went out into the garden and just relaxed.

I was conscious of the fresh air, the light, the little rustling sounds I could hear, the aroma of the coffee and the subtle movements of the cat as he slunk across the grass, his shoulders moving back and forth as though he was a lion hunting in the savannah (he suffers from delusions of grandeur!).

Previously, it would have been unthinkable to halt my morning haste and literally stop and smell the coffee. It would have seemed like a luxury, an unnecessary pause in the busyness of the day and a cause for reproach later on.

Of course, previously I wouldn’t have had the time at all because precious moments would have been spent in front of the wardrobe, miserably perusing racks and racks of clothes. I would have pulled something out, tried it on, found I had nothing to go with it, realised it was unsuitable anyway and then got dressed in a rush and been self-conscious all day.

These days, it takes me about 5 seconds to decide what to wear because I only have what I love. Too much choice is bad for me; fewer options help me get dressed faster and feel better when I do.

The time saved in the morning is channelled into an oasis of calm, even if it’s only for five minutes.   That’s five minutes to savour a coffee or appreciate a beautiful morning.

I want to remain conscious of this change and not take it for granted. Minimalism has brought about big changes in my life but – I really enjoy the little side effects too.

7 comments for “Channelling change

1. April 14, 2019 at 4:00 pm

LOVE my morning coffee outdoors! You’re great at describing how simplifying things leads to such ease and happiness 🙂

• April 14, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Hi Karen, thanks so much for reading and commenting. Yes, the morning coffee outdoors could easily become a very welcome habit! I’m glad you got some value from the post 🙂 Lxx

2. April 14, 2019 at 1:44 pm

You’re continuing to have a positive influence on me, Lol. Two weeks ago today, I did 2 sweeps on my wardrobe and chest of drawers and donated or threw away 34 items of clothing. I’m looking forward to simplifying further, not just with clothes but with every other area. I agree that when life is simpler, we naturally savour the small moments. Wonderful post, as ever, thank you. By the way, I also have a cat who fancies herself as a Great Hunter (she’s not).

• April 14, 2019 at 4:03 pm

Wow Julie – 34 items – that is truly amazing! And I’m so glad you feel the benefit of the decluttering. I didn’t realise you had a cat as well – I could look at mine all day, he’s so funny! Lxx

3. April 14, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Good luck with the down-sizing, Laurel. I hope the stressful moments are minimised and the peaceful ones maximised, Lxx

4. April 14, 2019 at 12:11 pm

As we are getting ready to downsize “again” I really appreciate our less is very much more lifestyle. You are spot on about replacing stresses with peace.-Laurel

• April 14, 2019 at 4:01 pm