5 FAQs about my capsule wardrobe

Recently, I was asked if my wardrobe comprised 132 items. Initially, this confused me, as it is such a precise figure. Then I realised it’s because I have embraced Project 333 seasonally, so 33 items of clothing multiplied by 4 seasons is 132!

My capsule wardrobe, which I take for granted now, can be a thing of mystery and fascination to some. To others, it is as though I am dabbling in the dark arts because ‘it just can’t be done’ (or so I’m told 😉 ).

So, frequently asked questions include:

1. Do you have 132 clothing items in your wardrobe?  Emmm …… no!
  2. Do you buy 33 new items every season?  Definitely not!
  3. Do you re-use items?  All the time
  4. Can any of your clothing items be used in more than one season?  Absolutely
  5. Do you count shoes?!  Yes

ps3

(I get this last question more often than you’d think – shoes can be a deal-breaker for some, far more than bags or other accessories!)

I usually have between 80 and 90 items in my full wardrobe – it can fluctuate a bit. This covers tops, bottoms, jackets, dresses, scarves, shoes, coats, belts, bags and sunglasses.

It doesn’t cover workout wear, underwear, night wear or specific occasion pieces (like a really fancy dress or swimsuits).

So, it’s classic Project 333 really – I’m not reinventing the wheel here.

To some, this will be twice as big as anything they own; to others, it may appear a bit small. As always, my mantra is, do what suits you.

I’m gearing up for my spring capsule now. I find spring a tricky season. Emerging from winter may make us want to dress in light, pretty clothes in beautiful pastel shades. The reality is, here in the UK anyway, that it’s still quite cool, it can rain a lot and my spring capsule can overlap more than I would like with my winter capsule.

But it’s all about dressing for the weather, your lifestyle and what suits you best.

More about seasonal dressing next time.

6 comments for “5 FAQs about my capsule wardrobe

1. March 25, 2019 at 6:31 am

Spring is certainly here this morning 🌝 I have one jacket that goes with everything and across seasons except deep winter. Hope it doesn’t wear out, I’m be lost! X

• March 25, 2019 at 7:46 am

You need to look after that jacket, Nik!!! And it’s wonderful to see that spring has sprung at last! Lxx

2. March 25, 2019 at 3:31 am

Funny how it never occurred to me to add 33 4 x either. I might be more of s minimalist that I realize. Thought provoking post!

• March 25, 2019 at 7:46 am

Thanks Laurel. Yes, that through me slightly as I hadn’t been used to thinking about it so literally but can totally understand how logical it could appear! Lxx

3. March 24, 2019 at 10:59 am

I find Spring tricky as well. Usually because of footwear – I would be happy if I could go straight from boots to sandals but, alas, that’s just not possible. Weirdly, I’m not a big fan of shoes (cue gasps!) as I find so many of them uncomfortable. I’ve begun to anticipate the seasons and plan accordingly much more as I’ve got older – too many experiences when I was younger of sweltering in a jumper on a warm day! Thanks for making me reflect on my wardrobe, Lol.

• March 24, 2019 at 11:09 am

Hi Julie, so true about the footwear. The transition between seasons can be tricky. There is no way I’m going out in sandals at the moment – I’ve compromised slightly with some loafers but if your feet are cold when you put them on, you’ve no chance for the rest of the day! I’m looking longingly at my boots but if I go back to them, chances are, I won’t take them off for the rest of the year! Lxx