The more of less – Part 2

abundance agricultural agriculture arm

Photo by icon0.com on Pexels.com

Last week, I wrote about how de-cluttering my belongings, ended up with me feeling as though I had a lot more.

This is just one of the many benefits of minimalism – as I have only those items I truly love, I use them a lot more.

Fewer things = more usage; more things = less usage

And that was just the physical items.

This week, I want to talk about other ways that minimalism enables me to have more, not less.

I have more:

• Time – to spend on my family, my friends, my writing and my own interests
  • Appreciation – for what I am so lucky to have
  • Interest – in other things, like sustainable clothes and more ethical ways of shopping
  • Attention – which I try to focus on people, not things
  • Intention – the more I practise minimalism, the more I want to apply it whenever and wherever I can
  • Money – I try not to spend on stuff that has no long-term value
  • Understanding – that purchasing an item, even while necessary, is only the beginning – I also spend money on its maintenance and upkeep
  • Space – over-crowded rooms now make me quite anxious!
  • Self-worth – a label, a trend, a brand doesn’t sway me the way it used to
  • Confidence – the lack of judgment about my reduced wardrobe has encouraged me to branch out in other directions
  • Leisure – it’s amazing how much time I used to spent shopping or worrying how little I had to wear as I gazed at my overflowing wardrobe!

Do you have more with less?

10 comments for “The more of less – Part 2

1. March 26, 2019 at 10:45 am

Did you find your wardrobe changing at all after minimizing? What do you gravitate more towards now?

• March 26, 2019 at 12:18 pm

Hi Ann Marie, thanks so much for your question. My wardrobe changed hugely after minimizing, not only in size but in content. I have a new-found respect for the basics in my wardrobe. Previously, I had thought these were the boring bits but now I find my capsule simply does not work without a solid foundation. So a well-cut blazer that goes with both jeans as well as tailored trousers, a good quality white top that looks casual with jeans and smart for work, shoes that go with a dress, a skirt as well as trousers – these type of things now make up the backbone of my capsule. The clothing items I have now tend to be very versatile, so just to build on what I have just said, I need a pair of shoes that will go with a multitude of items, instead of a pair for trousers, a pair for dresses etc. Thanks so much for your interest, Lxx

2. March 17, 2019 at 3:08 pm

You’re really selling it to me, Lol. As you said in a previous post, getting rid of stuff is often seen in terms of what we lose, not what we gain. Your post makes me immediately want to go and declutter! But I’m off to the cinema so, sadly, it will have to wait. Uplifting and inspiring post as usual, thank you.

• March 17, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment, Julie and I’m glad you found value in the post. Enjoy the cinema! Lxx

3. March 17, 2019 at 2:18 pm

Have you seen this website??

• March 17, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Hi there, thanks for stopping by 🙂 and thanks so much for providing a link to The Minimalists’ website. I have indeed seen it – I am a regular reader of their blog, a patreon on their podcast initiative and I met Josh and Ryan some years ago, when they held an event in London. I think they do marvellous work and I have been strongly influenced by their outlook 🙂

4. March 17, 2019 at 10:36 am

I have more quality time for just about anything I desire. Everything in my life has become “quality.” I have tea every afternoon using my grandmother’s antique teacup, I have a simpler coffeemaker instead of the expensive K cup for practical, economic reasons but I also prefer having a hefty mug of coffee in the morning not three quarters of a cup of lukewarm, expensive coffee. I can clean my coffeemaker and keep it tip top whereas the K cup is high maintenance. I use the dishes I love that we used to consider, the “good set” for everyday. They’re old ironstone dishes and I squeal with delight with how beautiful they are.
    When you start treating yourself well by surrounding yourself and utilizing the things that you love, you feel as though you are treating yourself well. I’m good enough to eat off of those beautiful dishes every time I have a meal. I’m worth that hefty, steaming cup of coffee….I feel like I’m spoiling myself by drinking tea from that delicate, old teacup. My surroundings of “less” force me to admire those beautiful, lovely items that I’m surrounded with…..which makes my heart sing. Quality over quantity rules. I’m worth it!😀
    Hope you’re well L! I’ve enjoyed this post. Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you!🍀

• March 17, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hi Erin, many thanks for your good wishes for today and La Fhéile Padraig to you too! I love your philosophy of using your time to make special moments in the day from very ordinary things – that turn out to be extraordinary. The simple pleasures of a good mug of coffee, a delicate cup of tea, a meal from a beautiful dish cannot be under-estimated. Thank you for your beautiful comment, Lxx

5. littleblackdomicile
    March 17, 2019 at 9:22 am

Each of us has that tipping point of what is too much. In our design firm we strive for balance with our clients homes which ultimately brings the contentment you are talking about.

• March 17, 2019 at 10:35 am