Extra space -v- clutter storage

I popped around to see a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago.

You know that feeling when you can just tell that you’ve walked right into the middle of something!

My friend looked exasperated and told me she’d just had yet another row with her son about his desire to turn the garage into a music room for him to practise with his band.

Considering the ‘noise’ that often emanates from his bedroom (he plays the drums!), I would have thought my friend would have been only too pleased to have him removed to the garage. I said as much.

‘But I can’t’ she wailed. ‘It’s where we keep everything, I’d have nowhere else to store things’.

So, she gave me a guided tour of the garage! I know, living on the edge, that’s me at the weekend 😉

GarageI didn’t have to point out to her what the ‘storage’ comprised. Battered cardboard boxes, old towels, Christmas decorations, a broken vacuum cleaner – I even recognised an old shower head from when they got the bathroom re-done! A whole room, valuable real estate, was being used to store what was, quite frankly, rubbish. I’m not saying it needed to be a music room, but there are so many other ways of using all that space, besides storing clutter.

But my friend couldn’t let go. I think she found the prospect of clearing it out too over-whelming, even though deep down she saw the logic.

I dropped in again a few days later and heard loud drumming coming from an upstairs bedroom.

I didn’t say anything!

14 comments for “Extra space -v- clutter storage

1. March 7, 2019 at 9:05 pm

Yes!! Not all spaces need to be filled! I am trying to help my parents with this whenever I visit them, helping with trips to the local disposal area to remove rubbish. But it seems to be a drop in the bucket relative to the mountains that remain. I try to remain calm about it, but it definitely challenges my equanimity when I am there for too long.

• March 7, 2019 at 9:11 pm

Oh Cristy, it can be so stressful, can’t it? Especially when you really want to help out someone else. And sometimes all that happens is that you get overwhelmed yourself. You’re so good to try and help your parents but they’re obviously just in a very different place to you right now, Lxx

2. March 5, 2019 at 8:41 pm

I can’t believe the noise of drumming was not incentive enough 😆 x

• March 5, 2019 at 8:43 pm

I know! A few hours de-cluttering in exchange for peace and quiet??!! Lxx

3. March 4, 2019 at 9:18 am

I feel your frustration!

My in-laws are hoarders and I feel immense stress having to spend time in a messy, cluttered, dirty house.
    I feel like they are in denial. I know their lives would be happier and simpler if they were brave and confronted the lifetime of delayed decisions. But I can’t make them.

I do hope your friend sees sense one day! My in-laws too! (I don’t hold out much hope for them though…)

• March 4, 2019 at 10:24 am

Hi there, thanks so much for your comment. It’s such a mindset, isn’t it? When you start to de-clutter and streamline your life, you can see clutter everywhere. But if you don’t have that outlook, it’s all too easy to ignore. I agree with you about the stress – I feel very stressed now in a cluttered environment and can never wait to get back to my minimalist, tranquil space! Lxx

4. March 3, 2019 at 4:51 pm

Clearing out our 1930’s garage before we converted it is one the most satisfying things I’ve ever done! I couldn’t tell you what was in there – it looked pretty much like your friend’s garage – and there’s nothing that I miss. I hope your friend can muster up the courage to have a purge.

• March 3, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Thanks for your comment, Julie – clearing out your garage must have given you such a sense of satisfaction! For my poor friend, it’s still a bridge too far but I have hope! Lxx

5. March 3, 2019 at 3:45 pm

We deal with this all the time in our design firm. We’ve graciously backed away from clients who ask for help yet do not want to follow through. On the flip side, we embrace projects where we all work as a team to allow good design have a powerful impact on lives. Years from now that poor son will have to deal with this and more if she does not let the seed you’ve planted grow. Very good post!

• March 3, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Thanks Laurel, yes that’s the shame of it, it will become someone else’s problem. It’s so easy for clutter to become out of sight and out of mind but it doesn’t stay that way forever! Lxx

6. March 3, 2019 at 1:09 pm

My goodness, that’s quite the garage! Im with you, a broken vacuum, shower head etc isn’t exactly for ‘storage space’. I always think, if I can’t remember it’s there (in storage), then I can’t of missed it and then don’t need it. X

• March 3, 2019 at 1:53 pm

Hi there, that’s a brilliant philosophy. If you can’t remember it’s there, then you don’t really need it! That’s one of the reasons I pack things away before finally getting rid of them – I challenge myself to remember what’s there – so many times, I don’t! Lxx

7. March 3, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Did seeing her garage just give you a rash lol? I ask because I can’t even enter a space that has stuff anymore therefore I don’t do it!
    I have a friend whom I helped move in last spring to a retirement home. She has a great apartment, beautiful view, etc. I helped her get situated and her place looked great. I went to visit her almost two months ago and she had so many boxes everywhere…..it was a maze just to get from one room to another…..boxes stacked to the ceiling! She apparently neglected to tell me about a storage unit she had. Needless to say, I felt like I was drowning there and I haven’t visited her since. I’ve spoken to her on the phone weekly but…..I can’t go to her place with it like that! I had severe anxiety and couldn’t wait to leave. To me….it was boxes of junk, to her…..precious memories. She’s begging me to visit again. I don’t want to hurt her feelings but if her space is a hoarder’s paradise, we need to meet elsewhere for our visit for MY mental health lol.😂
    My point is….once you embrace minimalism, your space is simpler and your mind is calmer. I am not “a slave to stuff.” My husband loves his stuff! Therefore the garage looks….well….like J. Lol! The rest of the house I take care of and it’s calm, easy to clean and peaceful. It reflects my current way of life and a philosophy that “things” are just that. They aren’t people or memories. Making memories and the people become center stage not a hoard of stuff. A shame that your friend doesn’t see the value in getting rid of an old showerhead, etc, to have something special for her son and a quieter house lol.

• March 3, 2019 at 1:52 pm

Hi Erin, oh, viewing the garage nearly brought me out in hives!! I desperately wanted to help but I could see my friend was just too over-whelmed to even contemplate a change – such a shame. Your comment echoes my own thoughts – that minimalism is not an absence of clutter, per se, it is a mindset. And once you view things in a particular way, it’s very hard to go back. Too much clutter or even too many things jut make me anxious now. Before, I used to get anxious if I felt I didn’t have enough! I can’t ever imagine feeling that way again. Lxx