Minimalism and identity

IdentityDo you know why I used to find de-cluttering tough? Because I felt I was throwing out little bits of me.

Do you know why I now find it easier? Because I know that’s not true.

Let me back up a little …..

Looking back, I think I used to identify myself through my ‘stuff’.

• I am a confident, professional woman – look at the type of clothes I wear.
  • I am a well-read woman – look at the books on my bookshelf.
  • I am a woman of taste – look at the pictures and ornaments in my house.
  • I am an intelligent woman – look at the textbooks on my desk.
  • I am a hospitable woman – look at all the food in my cupboards.
  • I am a domestic goddess – look at all my baking tins!

You get the picture! Of course, not a jot of the above was true!! To be fair, I didn’t even think this myself, but I felt I was one step closer to being a particular type of person if I had the right ‘stuff’. If I didn’t even have the stuff, then I had no chance at all.

So, I got the stuff. And more stuff. And then some more, because you know ….. if I didn’t take myself seriously, then who else would?

When I finally reached the stage of knowing that minimalism was a way of life that would work for me, it was such a relief. But when I finally took the plunge and did some serious de-cluttering, I wasn’t prepared for the rush of freedom and exhilaration I felt.

You see, minimalism strips away your fantasy lifestyle and uncovers who you really are – there is nowhere to hide – and there is no longer a reason to hide. This can be either scary or liberating.

I find it liberating. And it’s given me more confidence – this is who I am. If you need me to have stuff to help you identify who I am, then I’m probably not your cup of tea to begin with.

I don’t miss the stuff and I don’t miss the exhaustion of trying to be someone I wasn’t.

9 comments for “Minimalism and identity

1. January 14, 2019 at 9:21 pm

I love this, and can truly relate to it. I hope you don’t mind if I share on my blog for tomorrow. 🙂

• January 14, 2019 at 9:25 pm

Hi Cristy, thank you for your lovely comment. I would be very honoured 😘 Lxx

2. January 14, 2019 at 2:10 pm

It’s liberating! To be perfectly honest it does need some soul searching to find out why we collected all the stuff in the first place. You condensed it all beautifully.

• January 14, 2019 at 2:22 pm

Thank you Laurel – I’m still enjoying my new-found sense of freedom! Lxx

3. January 13, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Never thought of ‘stuff’ in that way before. Great post and I’m feeling virtuous as a couple of broken plastic storage boxes left the house this morning. A small move, but I hear Mr Maximal I my ears 🙂 Have a lovely Sunday x

• January 13, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Hiya Nik, thanks so much for the lovely comment. Two storage boxes is brilliant and what you may consider to be a ‘small move’ is still a move in the right direction 🙂 Continue feeling virtuous!! Lxx

4. January 13, 2019 at 11:31 am

This is a brilliant post, Lol. I’d never thought about my stuff in this way way before (and I have a fair amount of stuff). We don’t need things to demonstrate to ourselves or to the rest of the world who were are. Possessions don’t define us – we do, by really knowing ourselves and our character. Truly inspirational and I’m so glad I read this today. Thank you!

• January 13, 2019 at 3:47 pm

Hiya Julie, thank you so much for your very kind comment. I am glad the post resonated with you. I truly appreciate your continued readership and support, Lxx