Decluttering resolutions

I told Mr. Minimal-Lol about my idea for decluttering resolutions. He thought I was resolving to declutter even more in 2019 and a look of horror passed over his face.

Oh, it’s a constant balancing act when a minimalist lives with a maximalist!

While I probably will declutter from time to time (trying not to traumatise Mr. M-L in the process!), I meant I was going to de-clutter the idea of resolutions from my life.

If you’re someone who enjoys making resolutions and finds value in them, then that’s great and I wish you every success.

However, I have made New Year’s resolutions so often and with such mixed outcomes, that I have now fallen completely out of love with them. New Year’s resolutions and me? We’re breaking up. It’s official.

The thing is – when I want to do something now or feel it’s the right thing to do, I just do it. I don’t want to hang around, not even for a day. But, all too frequently, when I make a resolution, I break it, feel guilty, beat myself up and then think it’s probably not worth it any more.

So, it’s not working.

GoalHowever, I have goals and I have things I want to achieve. To me, that’s a bit different. My goals won’t carry the pressure of resolving that a whole year will be different or my behaviour will be different from the first day of the year. Also, I plan better when I set a goal and that’s helpful for me.

I can see why New Year’s resolutions are so appealing. But instead, I’m going to focus on two or three goals throughout the year. I find consistency is the key when trying to achieve something. That way, it’s not all or nothing. Even a tiny step will bring me closer and stops me throwing in the towel when I don’t achieve the impossible target I have set for myself.

Goals versus resolutions   ….. it sounds like I’m splitting hairs. But one word doesn’t carry the emotional pressure and baggage of failure of the other so this year, I’m all about the goals.

Have a great week 🙂

10 comments for “Decluttering resolutions

1. February 28, 2019 at 1:54 pm

I love this. I think 3 goals is my max and even that can be difficult. I wonder if it would be easier to split the year into thirds to accomplish each goal (or at least make headway) by a deadline.

• February 28, 2019 at 7:01 pm

Oh, that’s a good idea. There’s something so appealing and more achievable about breaking something down into bite-sized chunks, Lxx

2. January 6, 2019 at 8:02 pm

I love this process of letting go of resolutions. Goals or intentions work so much better for me, and I think when I draw my energy there, I spend less time getting frustrated if I do not follow something strictly. Behavior change can be hard and letting go of old habits can take time. So having a lot of compassion for ourselves as we learn new habits is very freeing. As always, thanks for your reflections!

• January 6, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Hi there, thanks so much for your comment. You summed up the gist of my post in some well-chosen words there – goals help ‘draw my energy’ – love it!! Lxx

3. January 6, 2019 at 2:41 pm

Mr. LBD has been a big picture goal oriented guy for the entire time we have been together. His goal list is ongoing with items being accomplished, and added all year round. What I admire most about his system is that when a goal dissipates and is no longer important to reach he deletes it. This has taught be that goals should be ever adapting to our lives instead of as you say…”hanging around”. As for resolutions for me…all that ever briefly crosses my mind this time of year is the hope to maintain the wonderful status quo we have reached in our lives. Happy 2019 my friend!

• January 6, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Happy new year, lovely Laurel – hope it brings all you want and long may that status quo continue! Lxx

4. January 6, 2019 at 1:01 pm

Imagine being a minimalist but being married to a hoarder. He’s much, much better now but there was a time when ‘I had horror in my eyes.’ Lol. He rolls with whatever I do now but I understand about two married people being opposites. Goals are different from resolutions. Well said L!

• January 6, 2019 at 3:39 pm

Thanks so much, Erin – it’s a balancing act, isn’t it??!!! Lxx

5. January 6, 2019 at 10:35 am

Too true. Goals and resolutions are different for me. Resolutions feel like a self imposed punishment. Goals on the other hand for me are a pleasure and have a life of their own. I have a goals list for 2019. Lovingly handwritten and stored in my new Filofax. My enduring love affair with Filofax is a whole other story 😊 Happy New Year 😘 x

• January 6, 2019 at 11:02 am

Hiya Nik, happy new year to you and Mr. S. Thanks so much for your comment – I wondered if I was being a bit picky differentiating between the two, but I honestly see a difference – so great to hear that you do too. I hear you with the Filofax! I’ve written my goals down in my bullet journal! Isn’t it funny – but handwriting goals seems to make them a lot more serious and bring a whole different level of commitment! Good luck with yours, Lxx

Comments are closed.