Minimalism at Christmas

2017-12-31 SingersIt’s almost Christmas!

Yes, my powers of observation rival those of Sherlock Holmes 😉

Every year, I think ‘I could have been more of a minimalist’ and this is especially true at Christmas. I have a lot of good intentions and, while each year I achieve more and more of my minimalist goals, it’s not all perfect.

The one thing I remind myself is that I am responsible for and can change my own behaviour – but I have little control over anyone else’s. So, if you had some plans that leaned towards the more minimal and they haven’t worked out, that’s life. You can only do your best and lead by example. And be gracious if things don’t work out according to your plan.

I find minimalism enriches my life, rather than diminishes it. But I know this isn’t everyone’s view and rather than trying to convert them by words, I try to influence by actions.

Christmas can often be a time of excess which paradoxically makes it the most difficult time and the most perfect time to have a minimalist mindset.

Have a happy and peaceful Christmas 😊

8 comments for “Minimalism at Christmas

1. December 26, 2018 at 9:36 pm

I am a new minimalist. I found Christmas to be really hard this year. My husband and I spoke with both our families and asked for no presents and also spoke about how we were not going to gift “stuff” (gifts that could be digested was our theme this year) and explained why. One family listened and embraced our wishes and the other basically told us we are getting you things anyway and we ended up with a car load of stuff we do not want. I’m learning that even when you adopt a mindset of people over things, not everyone is going to be on board. Its funny, I thought that telling people not to give us things would be great for them, yet some seemed offended and suggested we were ruining a Christmas tradition!

• December 26, 2018 at 10:53 pm

Hi there, thanks so much for reading. I read your comment with interest and I really feel for you. I think your approach is great and very practical and I really like the idea of gifting consumables. But, as I said in my post, the unfortunate thing is that you can only influence others up to a point. You made your request in such a way that part of your family complied and it’s sad that the other part didn’t. However, far from ‘ruining a Christmas tradition’, you have laid the foundations to create a new tradition and one that better fits your mindset and lifestyle. It’s a journey! And I wish you continued success on it, Lxx

2. December 23, 2018 at 2:07 pm

I love this post! For years we have planned our schedules to be home, just the two of us on Christmas Eve, enjoying the “do nothing” day together. We also stopped exchanging gifts 20 years ago…and make an earnest attempt to have others stop giving us gifts too. To us a minimalistic holiday is spending time with the ones we love and each other. This year we will have 3 full days enjoying our home and each other…bliss! Minimal Merry Christmas to you my friend!

• December 23, 2018 at 2:27 pm

What a beautiful comment, Laurel – you have summed it up perfectly. Have a wonderful holiday and best wishes for 2019, Lxx

3. December 23, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Happy Christmas L!

• December 23, 2018 at 2:26 pm

Thanks Erin, hope you, Jay and the family have a joyful time and best wishes for 2019, Lxx

4. December 23, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas, Lol.

• December 23, 2018 at 2:25 pm

Thanks so much, Julie – hope you and yours have a Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2019, Lxx