From time to time, I am asked to give a little talk about minimalism or capsule wardrobes at some local organisations. I absolutely love doing this. It’s terrific to hear how others react to these ideas, what they might take away and try themselves and, sometimes, why they would never do it! That’s fine – I always make it clear that I’m not on a crusade to convert anyone – simply to share ideas to see if any of them resonate.
I recently met a lovely group of ladies and shared some ideas with them about having a capsule wardrobe. I spoke about my own journey and it struck me, during my talk, how useful it was to have a ‘refresher’.
When I was talking about what prompted me to explore minimalism, how it has changed my life and what I do differently, I reflected on how easy it was to let some things slide. Old habits can creep up unawares.
While I would never go back to my old ways, nor ever want to, I feel I need to be more mindful of my evolving way of thinking and not take it for granted. A bit of reflection every so often does no harm.
The following 5 tips are those that I find most useful as reminders:
- Evaluate your lifestyle – your real lifestyle and not your fantasy one!
- Think about how well your current wardrobe fits with your style.
- Dress for yourself, not for others’ ideas of what you should be wearing.
- Have a sensible balance between basic pieces and dressier pieces – especially important for this time of the year.
- If you’re wearing 20% of your wardrobe 80% of the time, ask yourself why and then do something about it!
Hope this refresher helps! Have a great week 😊