Method for mindfulness

Gratitude Journal 1My lovely friend, Dawn, recently gave me a gratitude journal. In essence, it’s a method for increased mindfulness, wrapped up in a cute little notebook.

Minimalism helps me be more intentional, focused, appreciative and mindful, both of what I have and what I am.

But it’s all too easy to forget my numerous blessings amongst the slight irritations that can sometimes get in the way.

When Dawn gave me the journal, I decided to:

• Use it once a day
  • Write down three things
  • Try not to repeat myself too often

So, I started with the big things – family, friends, home, health – never to be taken for granted.

I then focused on the smaller things – a hand-made card from my nephews, watching my cat wash himself in the sun, the aroma of a home-cooked meal.

When I look at my day-to-day life, the list is just endless.

Then I graduated to the more intangible things – security, calm, peace of mind, stability.

Gratitude Journal 2

I try to always use positive language rather than focusing on the absence of something.

I find writing down these thoughts focuses the mind beautifully. Anyone ever tried a gratitude journal?

8 comments for “Method for mindfulness

1. dawnie2801
    October 8, 2018 at 8:25 am

glad you like it my friend x see u soon x

• October 8, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Thank you again, Dawn – such a thoughtful gift, Lxx

2. October 7, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Ah, this is in essence where we always start with a new design client. Let’s focus on what we have vs what we have not. Then we help them create a home that reminds them of this everyday…lots to write in a journal about!

• October 7, 2018 at 3:58 pm

Hi Laurel, focusing on the positive and what we have, can be applied in so many aspects of our lives! Lxx

3. October 7, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Gratitude is a daily practice that can really shift our mindset. While I don’t keep a specific journal for this, I try to regularly consider all I am grateful, particularly before I go to bed at night.

• October 7, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Hi Cristy, it’s such a good practice, isn’t it? And just before you go to bed, being able to reflect on that day, is such a good time for it, Lxx

4. October 7, 2018 at 10:37 am

You read my mind! I was just thinking this morning that I would like to write in my gratitude journal. It gives such a useful shift in perspective if you have a tendency to focus on the negative or what you believe is missing from your life. Many thanks for the nudge.

• October 7, 2018 at 10:46 am

Hi Julie, thanks as always for reading 🙂 Isn’t it awful just how easy it is to focus on what we don’t have, rather than what we do have?! Enjoy writing in your journal, Lxx