There’s definitely an autumnal chill lurking underneath this lovely September weather. So, yay – autumn capsule time!
This week, I’ve been refreshing my wardrobe in readiness for autumn. I took my usual steps of reviewing my summer capsule, letting go anything which wasn’t working for me and selecting clothes for my autumn capsule.
This process definitely gets slicker the more I do it, but I felt there were a few pitfalls that I had to side-step pretty nimbly, so thought I would share them.
5 tips for de-cluttering:
1. Try it on: Yes, it’s time-consuming. Yes, I know you probably loved it last autumn. Yes, it probably fitted you like a glove last year. But you know what – things change. Don’t guess, try it on. Oh, and use a full-length mirror.
2. Define your terms: As we used to be told when writing essays! Marie Kondo advises only keeping clothes (and indeed items) that spark joy. The Minimalists encourage you to keep only those items that add value. Most capsule wardrobe enthusiasts recommend keeping what you love. But what do these phrases actually mean for you? I caught myself deciding to keep an item because ‘I love it’. Really? And yet I haven’t worn it lately. Minimalism has shown me that ‘loving’ something goes far beyond admiring a colour or a shape or being attached to something because of a past memory. ‘Loving’ something means knowing it suits me and my lifestyle, reaching for it and then wearing it frequently. If it just hangs in the wardrobe, I don’t really ‘love’ it.
3. Consider what else it goes with: This isn’t a theoretical exercise. The key to a capsule is flexibility and versatility. If a piece doesn’t go with at least three others, it’s all too easy to get bored with it.
4. Review all your capsules: There are clothes that I don’t include in my main capsule such as underwear, exercise wear and night wear – my mini-capsules! But these are not an excuse to over-indulge. As they’re not in the main capsule, they can be easy to overlook. They need regular de-cluttering too.
5. If you’re new to de-cluttering, experiment: You don’t have to permanently discard items if you’re genuinely unsure about them – simply place them out of sight. Just don’t rush out to replace or buy anything. Start wearing your capsule and experiment with different combinations – what you have may already be enough.
But above all, remember – it’s only clothes! Have a great week 😊