Minimalism and mindfulness

My brother and his children visited me recently from Ireland. I was so excited to see them.  I planned everything out, booked some events, shopped for food, cleaned the house, got bedclothes ready and finally the day came.

When I saw them walking up the drive after a long journey, I flew out to meet them. I couldn’t wait to start talking to them, find out how things had been and share all the plans for our weekend together.

My seven-year old niece ran up to me. ‘I’ve lost my hair-slide’, she announced.

Talk about being in the moment!

31081_1What was important to her at that moment was the loss of her hair-slide, not the journey or the time ahead.

Children are the ultimate in mindfulness. I felt I could learn so much from my niece. I was consumed by the plans and what we would do and where we could go. All good stuff but that remark about the hair-slide showed me that what I needed to do was be in the moment.

So, I relaxed a bit. I tried to be as fully present as I could be. We searched the car and found the hair-slide! I then soaked up every moment of that trip. And yes, we went places and did things. But sometimes it was enough to sit in silence, be grateful, be appreciative and just – be.

I am trying to practise mindfulness more and more and I try to meditate every day, to help with this. I feel the strong links with minimalism. But it’s like my de-cluttering muscle! I have to build up my mindfulness muscle and I’m a long, long way away. But that’s okay. I’m getting more aware and that’s half the battle.

I realise how much I can obsess about the past and look forward to the future. But the present is all I really have. And some days I ignore it in favour of retrospection or anticipation.

And then some days, it’s all about the hair-slide!

6 comments for “Minimalism and mindfulness

1. September 22, 2018 at 4:11 pm

I loved your post – such a great example of how we can miss the present moment and never really “be” there. Thank you for sharing!

• September 22, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Hi there, thanks so much for reading and taking the time to comment – much appreciated, Lxx

2. August 26, 2018 at 11:54 pm

I can relate to this. I typically am stuck in “future mode” rather than being present. But when you are with children, they are less likely to have these habits of being outside the present moment. A great reminder for us to come back to the present. Practice helps! We can master it!

• August 27, 2018 at 9:32 am

So true, Cristy – it’s all about the practice! I’m such a long way away but convinced that a daily period of time set aside will start to build up over time! Lxx

3. August 26, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Love how you call a barrette or pony tail holder a hair slide…and yes out fo the mouth of babes we can learn so much. In our design world, we often pause and help a client realize they are over thinking something. Same principals we can all learn by! Great post to jolt us all back into a better reality.

• August 26, 2018 at 2:03 pm