Second hand shopping

I wrote a few months ago about trying to shop more sustainably and ethically, especially in charity shops.  I’ve added a few more key pieces to my wardrobe that I wear and love.

Cream topCream, embroidered silk top:  It looks like a neutral under a jacket but take the jacket off, and it’s quite a dressy piece because of the embroidery – it takes me from day to night, as they say!

Grey jacketGrey, wool pinstripe jacket:   Pulls together a plain top and trousers combo and can make it look quite polished.

Trousers - Peter Hahn, burgundy, slim fitBurgundy, wool trousers:  These trousers are a staple in the winter and, though still a dark colour, make a nice change from navy and black.

Bag - Ferragamo, black toteBlack tote:  A real workhorse – I use it every day for work.

In total, I have spent less than £30 on these four pieces (I’m not all about the labels but some of these are faaancy!! – well out of my normal budget at full cost!).

But it’s not just the money. I wrote previously about wanting to shop more sustainably, after watching the documentary, The True Cost.

I felt a positive step that I could take was to start shopping in my local charity shops. When I did some major de-cluttering, I donated a lot to charity shops. I ensured that I only donated good quality items, that could be sold and re-worn and I followed up with the charity shops, to know what type of item would sell. A Small Wardrobe writes here about why donating to charity shops is not the failsafe solution we may think it is – definitely worth a read.

But, at the time, I figured, if I try to donate good quality items, others must also, and I’ve found some brilliant, good quality pieces, only slightly worn.

So far, they’re all working out well for me and I feel it’s a more sustainable, ethical way of shopping – anyone else got any good experiences with this?

10 comments for “Second hand shopping

1. August 25, 2018 at 12:04 am

I love the cream silk top! I just started incorporating silk in my wardrobe last year and the pieces are just so beautiful! I’ve been shopping second hand more recently and this list is great!

• August 25, 2018 at 11:30 am

Hi Kasey, thanks a million for reading. Yes, the cream top is fast becoming a favourite. I was always nervous to invest in silk before, because of the cost, so this was a great way to dip my toe in the water. Lxx

2. August 21, 2018 at 2:32 am

Thanks for the shout out, Lol! 😅You’ve got yourself a great little haul there.

• August 21, 2018 at 8:51 am

Thank you indeed, for the interesting perspective you brought to donation to charity shops – something I hadn’t really considered before, Lxx

3. August 20, 2018 at 12:50 pm

I love the idea of shopping more sustainably. I have not yet seen The Trust Cost documentary but I did see the video by A Small Wardrobe on donating to charity shops. It really made me think for sure about how I be more mindful of how this system works and what my part is as well. Thanks for your reflections on these ideas.

• August 20, 2018 at 2:01 pm

Hi Cristy, thanks for stopping by 🙂 If you ever get the chance to see the documentary, it’s well worth a look – it’s very shocking and really made me think about my own actions. A Small Wardrobe made some very good points about donation that hadn’t really occurred to me before. Over-indulgence in consumerism is just so fraught with so many pitfalls! Lxx

4. August 19, 2018 at 1:11 pm

I too love to spend outside my normal comfort zone for wardrobe items at a quality consignment shop. The shops I frequent are very picky with what they take in…and keep all of us very happy with what goes out. Your recent choices make a complete outfit!

• August 19, 2018 at 7:45 pm

Hi Laurel, thanks so much for reading and commenting. You’re right about my recent choices being a complete outfit! I have bought more than that and while they do make an outfit, I wasn’t conscious of that when selecting the pieces – how funny!! A picky, quality consignment shop is a dream! Lxx

5. August 19, 2018 at 12:02 pm

I can’t believe you bought all those items for under £30 – that’s fantastic! I love a good trip round the local charity shops, although I tend to go for books and vinyl – you’ve inspired me to consider clothes as well. Thanks for the link to A Small Wardrobe, that was such a useful post.

• August 19, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Thanks as always, lovely Julie, for reading and commenting! The amount of money a second-hand piece actually fetches, even in a charity shop, is a very sobering thought – especially when you are buying new pieces! With a lot of items, especially clothes, the resale value is almost negligible. And I’m so pleased you liked the link to A Small Wardrobe – she is one of my key inspirations! Lxx