Packing for Pisa

Longchamp bagPacking for a weekend away is the easiest way to experiment with a capsule wardrobe.

When people say to me, ‘oh, I could never that’, I point out that is exactly what they do when they go travelling or on holiday.

As an experiment, it’s fool proof – well, almost. You’re limited to a certain number of pieces, it makes sense to have a coherent colour palette and for as many pieces to mix and match as possible.

And this is where an airline’s cabin baggage limit proves unusually useful! Readers of my blog will know I’m a carry-on luggage fan. Can’t be doing with standing by a carousel, anxiously scanning oceans of luggage, crossing my fingers that mine hasn’t gone astray. (This has happened and it ain’t fun). When you are given a weight restriction, you are forced to make decisions about what you can bring.

If it’s just a weekend away, then the stakes are very low.  It’s only for 2 or 3 days and an experiment with a defined timescale is always easier and makes you more focused. And if it really doesn’t work out for you, normal service can be resumed on your return.

Cathedral and towerI know the limit on toiletries can be a pain when travelling, but – like my clothes – I always find that I don’t need as much as I think I do. I wrote about minimalizing my skincare a couple of weeks ago and this worked beautifully for a recent weekend in Pisa. By the way, the Leaning Tower is every bit as weird and wonderful as its reputation – I love it!

Some learning from my weekend away:

• Two pairs of shoes would have been plenty – one to wear and one that could be packed. I brought three and didn’t touch one of them – naturally, this was the most bulky pair that took up the most room!
  • A scarf is one of the handiest pieces you can bring. It can brighten up an outfit, is protection against high air conditioning on the plane or in restaurants, can protect your head in the sun if you don’t have a hat with you and is useful for covering your shoulders, if you happen to do some sight-seeing in cathedrals, churches etc. where such covering may be mandatory – there were a LOT of churches in Pisa!!
  • I have discovered cleansing bars and shampoo bars, which don’t form part of the 100 ml liquid restrictions!

Any tips or tricks for a weekend away? Have a great week 😊

8 comments for “Packing for Pisa

1. May 29, 2018 at 7:44 am

Hope you had a wonderful break. I fail miserable on minimalism with clothes, but I’m about to read your skincare post. I have been a fan of a small wash bag and using one product for many things for a long time. Hair soap – new to me xx

• May 29, 2018 at 9:05 am

Hiya Nik, the break was indeed fantastic – thoroughly enjoyed it. I had never heard of hair soap either but it leaves my hair squeaky clean and very soft. I then just run a tiny bit of serum through it (I have a 10ml travel size so it takes up hardly any room) and I’m good to go. Genius!! Lxx

2. May 28, 2018 at 10:00 pm

I love the advice here. I am trying to figure out how to be minimalist on a 2-week trip to the U.K. in September. It really would be nice not to carry much… since it is a pain to lug everything around. Time to really employ the capsule strategy. 🙂

• May 29, 2018 at 9:03 am

Hi Cristy, it sounds like a great opportunity to practise a capsule! I know this will sound counter-intuitive but consider packing only for one week! Over a two-week period, you’re bound to wear most of the pieces a couple of times and if you have some versatile pieces, you can mix and match them multiple times. I think the trick is working out in advance what you will be doing and what the weather will be like, rather than thinking of it as 14 days’ worth of clothes. I hope your trip goes really well, Lxx

3. May 27, 2018 at 3:00 pm

My last trip was not as exciting as the learning tower, but I think I beat you on shortness. Parking garage ticket said 1 day, 22 hours and 13 minutes! I wore the same shoes, slacks and jacket, with a change of tank top in my work bag. Zip lock with basic toiletries and a small make up pouch. Even called the hotel ahead and requested a robe so no nighties even needed. It was pure bliss for the travel aspect and wonderful to get home to my small, now seamingly large clothing selection. I think it is all a mindset of where we make our priorities and small trips are great ways to practice as you point out.-Laurel

• May 27, 2018 at 4:08 pm

That is pure brilliance, Laurel – just a tank top as an extra! And great tip about requesting the robe. I think it gives such a sense of freedom to travel so lightly, Lxx

• May 27, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Indeed…and in reality, most people do not pay attention to what we wear as long as our confidence shows thru. Which comes from planning what we own and how we wear it.

• May 27, 2018 at 5:28 pm