From time to time, I get asked questions about capsule wardrobes. Now, this is a subject I could cheerfully talk about for hours on end, so I have to be careful not to become a capsule bore (apologies to those for whom this advice comes too late!).
I love talking about it but there are not nearly as many opportunities as I would like. Dawn, my friend at work, and I sometimes get a chance to chat capsule over the copier. And another friend, Sorcha, talks wistfully about it, as though it were a mirage, tantalising and just out of reach!
But I paused for reflection recently. A lovely subscriber, Mishmash Media Blog (check out her blog, it’s so lovely) commented that she would lovely to try out a capsule but hadn’t yet. I sympathised and said I, too, had found it daunting when I first tried.
Then I realised ….
When I talk about capsule wardrobes, I emphasise the rules, the structure, what you can wear, what you can’t wear ….
What I don’t talk about is the fun element!
I know, right?
Fun – well, when I have I ever uttered that f-word?!
So, I’m doing a real disservice to this brilliant concept. Of course, it’s useful to get your head around the framework and know what it’s about. Because only then, can you figure out how to tailor it to you and your lifestyle. But, once you’ve done that? It’s a blast!
- It’s fun to be creative
- It’s refreshing to change up your whole wardrobe every three months
- It’s exciting to go shopping, with a specific list, to fill identifiable gaps
- It’s liberating to experiment – to shrug if an outfit doesn’t work out and to do an excited dance in front of the mirror if it does (anyone else do this? Just me then? Ok!)
- It’s cool to dress with different clothes, that you haven’t seen for months
- It’s rewarding to think I’m doing my little bit for the environment and sustainability
- It’s satisfying to save money
- It’s hilarious when people compliment me on my ‘new’ clothing item and I know it’s a piece that’s lasted five years now!
- It’s amazing to see how a pair of shoes can change up a whole outfit.
So, next time someone mentions capsules to me, I’ll go easy on the structure and amp up the fun! After all, if it was difficult or tiresome, I’d have given it up long before now. Have a great week 😊