I’m creating a summer capsule wardrobe – anyone like to join me?
The days are getting warmer and my clothes need to be more summer appropriate. Time to ditch the dark colours and woollen jumpers!
So, using the framework of Project 333, I’ve decided to create a small, carefully curated wardrobe of summer clothes. I’ll include only clothes that fit me well, that I love and that suit my lifestyle. I think I’ll end up with about 35 pieces – slipping in a cheeky 2 extra pieces – and see how I get on with that. These 35 pieces will include all my tops, bottoms, dresses, shoes and accessories.
Why do a capsule?
- I can choose clothes that I love and that suit me.
- An edited wardrobe with a limited number of pieces is easy to choose from when getting dressed and that will make …..
- Getting dressed in the morning simpler and quicker.
- I already have a lot of clothes from last summer – re-using them will mean spending less money.
- My wardrobe will not be crammed and over-flowing.
- My ‘floordrobe’ will be a dim and distant memory.
- Fewer clothes mean I will appreciate those I have more.
- The clothes that make the cut are usually higher quality, as they will need to withstand greater wear and tear.
- I’ll choose only my favourite items, so I’ll be wearing my favourite clothes every day – that’s a good start to a morning!
- Less time spent fussing over my clothes means more time for friends, family and my own interests.
- I’m worried I may get bored with so few clothes – so it’s good to have it time-bound i.e. only one season, which is really only 12 weeks.
- I don’t want people to think I’m wearing the same clothes all the time – so I’ll have to be creative.
- I hope the extra washing and wearing doesn’t wear out my clothes too quickly.
- Pick out colours that are easy to mix and match.
- Make sure to have a good mix of clothes for work and home, especially if you work in a corporate environment.
- Enjoy it! It’s just an experiment – if it doesn’t turn out exactly as planned, it’s only clothes!
So, I’m going to create my summer capsule this weekend. I’ll take the clothes out of storage, try them on, select and discard, wash and iron – you know, all the glamorous stuff!
I’ll try it for 3 months and then review to see how well (or otherwise!) it has worked. If you’re thinking of doing something similar, I’d love to hear from you in the comments box below.
Next week, I’ll write about what clothes I’ve chosen and why. Have a great week 🙂